TRAINING & CERTIFICATION IN SCHEMA THERAPY 2014-2016
The process of applying for certification in Schema Therapy
Before sending in an application for any of the ISST certification categories you must have completed the process of joining the ISST as a full member (excepting Auxiliary Schema Therapist Certification who join as Associate members), have your membership number and provide it on your application.Please remember that you have 3 years from the time you complete the training to meet the other requirements for certification and to submit your application with all needed supporting documents.
3. The country reviewer checks the qualifications of the applicant and that the documents and the ISST application form are complete.
4. Country reviewer sends the completed checklist and the ISST Certification Application form to the T&C coordinator for final evaluation. Just these two documents please.
5. If all ISST requirements are judged to be met the application is approved. If all are not met the T&C Coordinator will communicate with the applicant in an effort to remedy any inadequacy.
6. If an application is denied the applicant has the recourse of asking for either an Executive Board review or a 3Cs review. The member has 30 days to appeal the decision.
7. Questions from applicants about where their application is in the evaluation process are answered by either the country reviewer or the T&C assistant.
8. Letter of approval and ISST ST Certificate are sent to the applicant by the ISST Assistant as directed by the T&C Coordinator.
9. Newly certified members post their information on the ISST website
Certification in the Specialty Areas of ST: Group, Child-Adolescent, Couples and Auxiliary
The evaluation process for applications in the specialty areas is as follows:1. Applications are sent to the Chair of the Certification Committee for that specialty area.
2. The committee reviews applications using their established requirements that are posted on the webpage for the specialty
3. The committee chair sends their evaluation and approval recommendation to the T&C coordinator for final review and her/his evaluation of the application. If the decision from the committee and the coordinator is approval – the process stops here.
4. If certification is not recommended by either the specialty area certification committee or the T&C Coordinator it is sent to the EB for a final decision. The EB may ask for more information and the member has 30 days to respond. The EB may decide to send the application to the T&C committee or to the Three C’s committee for input. The final decision is made by majority vote of the EB.
The general ISST policy is that routine applications are evaluated through the process described above. Applications with issue(s) for which there is no rule or precedent are referred to the Training & Certification (T&C) Coordinator. Depending upon the issue involved these applications either go directly to the Executive Board (EB) for evaluation or first to the T&C Committee for discussion and feedback and then to the ISST EB board for a decision. All exceptions granted are recorded and applied to any other member with the same situation or issue. Applicants may ask for review by the 3C’s committee.
Certification by "Grandparenting"
The official grandparenting period for all certifications except the newly announced Auxiliary Professionals Certification is closed, however those with a compelling reason to have missed the deadline may send a request for an exception to the T&C Coordinator who will then send the exception request to the appropriate specialty area for review or to the T&C Committee if it is a request for individual ST. The committee’s evaluation is sent to the T&C Coordinator for her/his evaluation and decision regarding whether the exception request falls into a category that has been approved for exceptions (e.g. request comes form a member in a country where there are no certified schema therapists, significant health, job, childcare issues interfered with the timely completion of the application. The T&C Coordinator communicates to the applicant whether an exception has been granted. When granted the application goes to the appropriate committee for the review process described for new applications. The appeal process is the 3Cs and lastly the EB. The EB makes the decision by majority vote.
Procedure for submitting ISST Certification Applications
ALL APPLICANTS FOR CERTIFICATION PLEASE NOTE: All applications for certification in individual schema therapy go directly to the members of the Training & Certification committee who is the reviewer for the country you live in. You must meet the ISST membership requirement for the certification you are applying for before submitting a certification application. Your certification application will not be reviewed without your ISST membership number. Individual, Group, Child-Adolescent and Couples ST require Full ISST membership, Auxiliary Schema Therapist certification requires Associate ISST membership.
For example, if you are living in Holland you would send your certification application to Eelco Muste. You would also email Eelco if you wanted to know where your application was in the certification process. General questions about certification would still be sent to me, Joan Farrell. Below you will find the countries listed which have a reviewer. If two people are listed and you have trained or been supervised by one of them, please send your application to the other for the sake of evaluator independence. Eventually someone will be listed for each country or region.
Please assemble your application, documentation needed for supervision, rater's tape summary sheet/s along with the checklist and email it ALL TOGETHER at the same time. Otherwise it is much more work for reviewers. Hard copies mailed in are not accepted as the need for international mailing slows down the process and makes archiving applications difficult. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that all supplementary documentation including the case conceptualization and session summary that were sent to the tape rater are sent to the reviewer within 30 days of sending the application form in. The checklist of necessary documents can be accessed HERE. All reviewers volunteer their time for this as do I. Expect that it may take the reviewer 30 days to send your application in checked and then another 30 days before you are notified of approval. Please be patient in contacting the reviewer or me about your application before this time has passed. We do everything we can to act quickly, but all of us are busy practicing psychotherapists and trainers.
Austria: Alexandra Schosser
Denmark: Susanne Vind
The Netherlands, Brussels : Eelco Muste
Switzerland, Luxemburg: Christoph Fuhrhans
Africa: Dave Edwards
Greece: Giannis Malogiannis
Norway: Erlend Aschehoug
Russian Federation, Poland, Ukraine: Paul Kasyanik
Sweden: Calle Gyllenhammar
Israel: Offer Maurer
Turkey: Gonca Soygut
Documents to submit (all can be found on the Certification Forms page of the website)
©2017 International Society of Schema Therapy e.V.
International Society of Schema Therapy e.V. is a not-for-profit organization. Glossop-Ring 35, DE-61118 Bad Vilbel, Germany