Schema Therapy for Children and Adolescents (ST-CA) Special Interest Group
We are a group of seven ST-CA certified therapists from Germany, Russia, and the US. Our ultimate goal is to adapt the principles of Schema Therapy with adults into the work with children and adolescents. Schema therapy for children and adolescents aims to accomplish the following tasks:
- Focus on and validate children's emotional needs and help them meet these needs in the present and future
- Explore and engage in fun,
- Regulate, weaken, reduce and/or heal early maladaptive schemas (EMS) and maladaptive modes by using methods of Gestalt, Hypnotherapy and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Learn how to change from self-defeating schema modes ("mode model“) to emphasize the therapeutic relationship ("limited reparenting“ concept) in order to offer emotional security
- Educate and support caregivers (parents, teachers, child/youth care worker etc.) in recognizing emotional needs and teaching them how to meet the needs
- Support parents in the recognition and reduction of dysfunctional, maladaptive emotional and behavior patterns caused by their own schemas ("Schema Coaching“)
Lastly, the scope of the work is balanced to include cognitive, behavioral, and experiential work.
We understand our task is a “work in progress”, so we are open and thankful for new ideas and modifications in order to improve and elaborate our concepts and techniques using Schema Therapy for Children and Adolescents (ST-CA).
We want to disseminate ST-CA worldwide, according the curriculum that we have outlined.
We organize online sessions on demand. ISST members can also receive online supervision in our ISST peer group (via GotoMeeting); lead by Christof Loose and/or Maria Galimzyanova, taking place the second Monday of each month at 1 pm (CET, CEST), on-demand.
- ISST-Conference in Vienna (2016)
For more information, please contact Christof Loose; e-mail: CONTACT
©2018 International Society of Schema Therapy e.V.
International Society of Schema Therapy e.V. is a not-for-profit organization. Glossop-Ring 35, DE-61118 Bad Vilbel, Germany
Why Schema Therapy?
Schema therapy has been extensively researched to effectively treat a wide variety of typically treatment resistant conditions, including Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Read our summary of the latest research comparing the dramatic results of schema therapy compared to other standard models of psychotherapy.