Responsibilities of the ISST Science & Research Coordinator
To inform schema therapists, researchers, or anyone interested on developments in research into the various aspects of schema therapy.
Specific tasks of the board member responsible for ‘Research & Scientific Issues’
- Keeping up with scientific literature on schema therapy and ongoing (international) research into schema therapy
- Making an update (each year) of newly published scientific articles on various aspects of schema therapy (by providing a list of references in APA style and accompanying abstracts)
- Assisting researchers in schema therapy, especially in developmental/non-western countries (e.g., sending PDFs of articles they need but do not have access to; putting researchers in contact with one another, who study or are interested in specific aspects of schema therapy; providing methodological advise)
- Organization of the conference of the ISST, in close collaboration with the Vice President and the Coordinator of Training & Certification.
- The board member for ‘Research & Scientific Issues’ is responsible for the scientific part of the organization, involving:
- Selecting (with EB approval) and chairing the scientific committee
- Setting up a theme and selecting keynote speakers (in consultation with the board)
- Contact with keynote speakers about the content of their lectures.
- Writing a call for papers
- Selecting and categorizing all submissions; sending members of the scientific committee an overview of abstracts, evaluation forms, and instructions
- Reviewing all submissions and collecting the reviews of the other members of the scientific committee
- Evaluation of all reviews, ranking of submissions in each category, planning of the final program, writing decision letters to all people who submitted
- Providing abstracts of presentations in the program, as well as the name, title, and affiliation of each presenter in order to compile a conference book of abstracts
- Performing an active role during the conference (e.g., arranging the introduction of keynote speakers)
- Attending board meetings and keeping up accompanying correspondence
· Free access to an international scientific library, and scientific browsers as Scopus, PsycINFO, PubMed and Omega
· Expertise in scientific methodology (preferably at PhD level)
· Knowledge of schema therapy and theory
· Time (average of about 120 hours a year, with peaks in the year of the conference)
©2021 International Society of Schema Therapy e.V.
International Society of Schema Therapy e.V. is a not-for-profit organization. Glossop-Ring 35, DE-61118 Bad Vilbel, Germany
Why Schema Therapy?
Schema therapy has been extensively researched to effectively treat a wide variety of typically treatment resistant conditions, including Borderline Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Read our summary of the latest research comparing the dramatic results of schema therapy compared to other standard models of psychotherapy.